Whilst adding sweet potato to a brownie recipe sounds a little strange, it actually makes a deliciously sweet and moist brownie that's packed with extra nutrients and antioxidants.
Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamin A and vitamin C making them a superfood for healthy glowing skin, pair this with the wonderfully high anti-oxidant levels found in raw cacao, and you have a sort of yummy superfood brownie.
As these brownies are packed with fibre rich sweet potatoes they provide slow burning energy for your body, keeping you feeling full and energised for the next few hours. I love these as a mid morning snack, they feel insanely decadent but are truly nourishing!
I like to roast the sweet potatoes before adding them into the brownie recipe, I find roasting the potatoes really brings out the sweetness in flavour, more so than steaming them does. You could also add some chopped nuts to this recipe, but I like my brownies to have a smooth gooey texture so prefer not to.
As always this recipe is refined sugar free, gluten free and vegan!
Sweet Potato Brownies
Ingredients (Makes 12-16)
2 Medium sized sweet potatoes
5 Heaped tbsp of cacao
1 Cup of almond meal
1 Cup of buckwheat flour
12 Pitted medjool dates
5 Tbsp maple syrup
Coconut milk - if needed
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200º. Once heated roast the sweet potato in the oven for 1 hour or until soft in the middle. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
2. Turn the oven down to 180º.
3. Scrape out the sweet potato from their skins and into a food processor. Add all the other ingredients and mix until smooth and completely combined. If the mixture is too dry add a dash of coconut milk.
4. Line a tin with greaseproof paper. Pour the brownie mixture into the tin and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes (this will help set the brownie so don't miss this stage out).
6. Cut into 12 or 16 slices and enjoy. Store these in the fridge to keep them fresh.
As always I would love to see if you give this recipe a go, so tag @thenourishingconcept or #thenourishingconcept so I can see your creations!