Leaky gut sounds pretty nasty and unfortunately loads of us are walking around it, and we don't even know it!
Many common digestive issues, allergies and skin problems are actually a good indication that you have leaky gut and need to fix it sharpish.
So what exactly it leaky gut?
Leaky gut is when the tight cells that make up the walls of your gut lining start to separate, allowing undigested food particles and toxins into the blood stream. Because these food particles and toxins are not supposed to be in your blood stream, your body reads them as invaders and attacks them.
This can lead to all sorts of inflammation in your body and more seriously can can trigger off auto-immune diseases.
So how do you know if you have leaky gut?
1. You have regular digestive issues like: bloating, gas, constipation and diarrhoea.
2. You've been diagnosed with an autominnue-disease such as coeliac disease, lupus, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis or hashimoto's.
3. You're suffering from skin issues like acne, eczema or rosacea.
4. You've developed food allergies or suffer from seasonal allergies.
5. You are chronically fatigued.
6. You've been diagnosed with candida over growth.
You might be experiencing one or many of these symptoms, if so it's time to start thinking about starting a gut healing program to help repair your gut lining.
What causes leaky gut?
- Certain foods (gluten, coffee, alcohol, refined sugar, dairy)
- Medications (antibiotics, pain killers, antacids, steroids)
- Environmental toxins (heavy metals, pesticides, BPA)
All these play a part and work together to cause leaky gut syndrome.
So if you suspect you have leaky gut hang tight, next post I'll discuss how to heal yourself on a plant-based diet and restore your health, as well as share some helpful books and websites.